Connect a classic printer
To connect your classic printer, enable the Google Cloud Print connector using a Windows or Mac computer that's connected to the printer. You'll need Google Chrome to be installed on the computer. If you're using Windows XP, make sure you also have the Microsoft XML paper specification pack installed.
Once Google Chrome is installed, follow the steps below to enable the Google Cloud Print connector in Google Chrome.
- Turn your printer on.
- Log in to your user account on the Windows or Mac computer.
- Open Google Chrome.
- Click the Chrome menu on the browser toolbar.
- Select Settings.
- Click Show advanced settings.
- Scroll down to the “Google Cloud Print” section. Click Add printers.
- If prompted, sign in with your Google Account.
- Select the printers you want to connect, and then click Add printer(s).
If you signed up for 2-step verification, you need to enter an application-specific password instead of your Google Account password. You can generate the application-specific password on your Authorizing applications and sitespage.
The printer is now associated with your Google Account and connected to Google Cloud Print. You can print to this printer whenever you’re signed in with the same Google Account on your Chromebook.
Share your printer
You can let your friends use printers in your account, as long as they also have Google Accounts. Manage sharing permissions for your printers through the Google Cloud Print website. If you're looking to share your printer with a large group of people, set up a Google Group and share your printer with the mailing list.
Sharing with individual email addresses
- Visit your Google Cloud Print page.
- Click Printers on the left side.
- Select the printer that you want to share. If you don't see your printer, try refreshing the page.
- Click the Share button. When you share your printers, you'll share the printer names so choose a descriptive name by clicking Rename.
- In the dialog that appears, enter the email address for the person or Google Group you want to share with. You may not be able to share the printer if someone else originally shared this printer with you.
- Click Share.
Your friend will receive an email notification. To disable sharing, follow the steps above to open the Sharing dialog for the printer and edit the list of email addresses.
Sharing with a group
- Invite your friends to a Google Group. See steps for setting up a group in the Google Groups Help Center.
- Follow the instructions above to add the group's email address to the list of users.
- If you're the group owner, you're all done -- group members can now access the printer as long as they have Google Accounts. If you're sharing multiple printers with the same group, wait until all sharing requests have been made and accept all requests at once.
If you're not the group owner, a request will be sent to the group owner. Once he or she approves the request at Google Cloud Print page, group members will be able to access the printer.